Since its dedication in 1938, the home of Oklahoma State Basketball and Wrestling has been Historic Gallagher-Iba Arena, but the venerable fieldhouse has a vastly new look. The arena still provides an up-close view from any seat in the house, helping to give the Cowboys and Cowgirls a tremendous home-court advantage, but it has been doubled in size and modernized in appearance.
The historic building has undergone a massive $55 million construction project and is part of the OSU Athletics Center. Its 13,611-seat capacity allows more O-State fans to enjoy OSU athletics events, and the auxiliary facilities are second to none in the region.
Originally named Gallagher Hall after OSU fabled wrestling coach Ed Gallagher, the Board of Regents honored legendary Cowboy basketball coach Henry Iba when the arena was remodeled in 1987, and his name was added to the arena title.
Gallagher served as OSU wrestling coach from 1916-40. In his 23 years, OSU won 11 national team titles and compiled a 138-5-4 dual record. Gallagher was also an outstanding athlete while attending Oklahoma State. He was captain of the track team for three years, and his 99-yard run against Kansas State in 1908 will always stand as the longest football run in school history.
Iba, who passed away in January of 1993, was a coaching giant in the sport of basketball. He coached in 1,105 collegiate games, and his 767 career wins were fourth only to Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp and Jim Phelan. Iba served as coach and athletic director at OSU from 1935 to 70, and in those 36 seasons, posted a 655-316 record while guiding the Cowboys to 13 league championships, eight NCAA appearances and the 1945 and 1946 NCAA Championships.
Along with the expansion of the historic arena, the OSU Athletics Center has many features. A total of 14 luxury suites stretch across the west side of the facility, overlooking both the basketball court and the football field. Banners signifying the success of Oklahoma State Athletics are hung from the rafters. The pride of OSU athletic triumphs are also illustrated in photographic and trophy displays in Heritage Hall.
Even after two major construction projects, today's players still compete on the gym's original white maple floor, which was the country's most expensive when it was installed in 1938. The arena was built in 1938 at a cost of $1.5 million. National powers Oklahoma State and Kansas opened the facility on Dec. 9 in a game that matched coaching legends Henry Iba and Phog Allen. OSU won that game, 21-15.
The home record for Cowboy Basketball on the original 1938 white maple court, which remains in place to this day, has been nothing short of impressive. Through the first 64 years in the building, the Cowboys posted a 593-177 record at home with nine undefeated seasons. In addition, the Cowboys' 80-game homecourt non-conference winning streak, which ran from 1986 to 1998, ranks fifth in NCAA Division I history.
Completed Locker Rooms
October 8, 2010
July 30th, 2010
July 19th, 2010
June 18th, 2010
June 4th, 2010
May 21st, 2010
April 30th, 2010
April 9th, 2010
March 19th, 2010
Feburary 23rd, 2010
January 15th, 2010
January 5th, 2010
December 14th, 2009
On November 2, 2009, OSU began a renovation project in Gallagher Iba Arena to expand and modernize the Men’s and Women’s basketball locker room facilities. The improvement is a privately funded project overseen by Cowboy Athletic Facilities, LLC, a non-profit organization that developed the Boone Pickens Stadium Phase III Expansion project for OSU.
Previously, the Men’s and Women’s locker facilities were on the first floor, west side of the Arena. The relocation of the football operations to their new facilities in Boone Pickens Stadium, in turn, permitted the relocation of the Women’s program to the east side of Gallagher-Iba on the basement level. The Men’s program will occupy both the basement and first floors on the west side. Both improvements will have amenities that are essentially the same.
The $4 million project is expected to be substantially complete by June 1, 2010. It is expected to be fully completed in August 2010. The work includes new locker rooms, training rooms, lounges, and related functions. It will bring our locker room facilities up to date and provide much needed improvements.